Board or Directors Code of Ethics:
Respect the rights, dignity and worth of fellow Directors, Club Leaders and all Club members.
- Within the context of a person’s position and responsibilities, treat everyone
equally regardless of sex, disability, ethnic origin or religion.
Be fair, considerate and honest.
- All Directors and Committee members are deserving of equal say and
Responsibility of Directors is for the whole organisation.
- Directors are elected “to provide overall direction and leadership for
Society activities and services”.
Be professional and accept responsibility for your actions.
- Directors should attend all Meetings
- Directors should be punctual and should not depart Meetings early.
- Language, manner, preparation and presentation should display high
- Display control, respect, dignity and professionalism
- Encourage fellow Directors to demonstrate the same qualities.
Make a commitment to have a detailed understanding and knowledge of the entire organisation.
- Improve their current knowledge and understanding of ASLSC by reading
all relevant documents.
- Seek continual improvement through ongoing education and training,
whether offered or sought.
- Maintain appropriate files.
Operate within the rules and spirit of the SLSA, RLSSA, LSV and ASLSC.
- Directors should be familiar with and follow the ASLSC Constitution, By-
Laws and Policies.
- Directors should be familiar with and follow SLSA, RLSSA and LSV policies
and guidelines relevant to their position.
Confidentiality is critical.
- Directors should maintain confidentiality in accordance with adopted
Refrain from any form of personal abuse towards fellow Directors.
- This includes verbal, physical and emotional abuse.
Refrain from any form of harassment.
- This includes sexual and racial harassment, racial vilification and harassment
due to disability.
Declare any potential Conflict of Interest.
- Directors should declare any and all potential Conflicts of Interest(s) in
accordance with adopted Policies.
Expression of Concern.
- Any concerns regarding the conduct of the Board Meetings should be
directed without delay to the President.
- Actions taken by Directors or Committee members should be directed,
without delay to the relevant Vice President or to the President.
Other Duties of Directors
- Act honestly at all times.
- Do not make improper use of information for personal advantage.
- Do not gain by improper use of the position.
- Duty of Care.
- Directors should exercise a degree of skill and diligence that any ordinary
person would expect a Director to take.
- Directors should ensure obligations under the Corporations Act are met.
Be a positive role model.